Monday, August 29, 2022

Fault Tolerance

Fault Tolerance by Valerie Valdes, 406 pages

After dealing with an interstellar mafia and a devious plot involving mind-controlling Pokemon-esque creatures (just go with it), the crew of La Sirena Negra is ready for a bit of downtime. But then some ominous monoliths (is there such a thing as non-ominous monoliths?) have to go and appear at every intergalactic gate, blocking traffic between star systems and threatening to destroy everyone who doesn't bend to the will of those who control the monoliths (who this is isn't exactly clear at the start). And OF COURSE La Sirena Negra's co-captain, Eva Innocente, is the being chosen to hunt down some super-powerful, super-huge mechs to fight the monoliths' creators. Cue a dangerous universe-wide scavenger hunt, complete with plenty of fighting, running, and off-the-cuff decisions that are equal parts stupid and brave.

I really love this series (start with Chilling Effect), which is equal parts space adventure, found family wonderfulness, and cat jokes. My only complaints about it are completely my fault: it's been two years since I read the last installment in this series, so I'd forgotten what was going on when the story picked up; and I recently read a different book with giant space robots, which certainly colored my mental image of the mechs in this book. (Thankfully, the other book had a different enough plot and characters and relationship between robot and human that I was able to keep the stories straight.) Anyway, this was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to read what Valdes comes up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment