Monday, October 4, 2021

No Gods, No Monsters

 No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull, 387 pages.

Kara reviewed this book last month, and you can see her thoughts here!

I was very excited for this book. I'm a big fan of urban fantasy and also a big fan of mysterious old gods, and in addition to all of that it sounded like Cadwell Turnbull was going to use these themes to explore some much bigger concepts, which sounded super interesting to me! Unfortunately this book didn't quite land for me, maybe because my understanding of the plot from the blurb was pretty significantly different from how the book actually went. For example, very few gods, and even fewer gods that have any relevance at all to the story.

I couldn't shake the feeling for most of this novel that the narrative was just missing the most interesting parts of the story. There are a whole lot of perspective changes in this book, but it still always felt like the most interesting things were happening at the periphery. Although, on that note, the perspective of this novel was extremely interesting. I was nearly halfway through the book before I figured out what was going on with the perspective, but once I did it definitely changed my experience.

Overall this book has a lot of very interesting concepts, but it is not very concerned with making sure the reader understands what is going on or giving information in a timely manner. It had a whole lot of promise, but it didn't quite come together for me. That being said, I am still interested enough to read the next one, and I do still think this novel is definitely worth the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment