Monday, July 30, 2018

No One Is Coming to Save Us

No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts, 371 pages.
In looking over the reviews now, I realize that when I listened to this book, a couple of months ago, I completely missed the Great Gatsby connection. I like being able to prove, over and over again, that I'm not really a careful or close reader.

Pinewood, North Carolina is the setting for this tale of an extended family. All the good jobs have moved overseas and the people who have stuck around have all seen a measure of hard times.When JJ returns to the area, ostensibly a wealthy man now, after a childhood of poverty, old feelings and emotions are brought to the surface.
This was the One Book, One Kirkwood read for 2018, and I listened to the book in anticipation of going to see the author back in May. I wasn't able to make it to the event, but I am still glad that I read this excellent book.

No comments:

Post a Comment