Saturday, August 31, 2013

Bury me deep

Bury me deep/Megan Abbott 240 pgs.

This book starts our being something typical.  The sweet young wife of a doctor is left alone while he takes a job in Mexico and falls in with a bad crowd of "fast" women who introduce her to the town "player" and they start an affair...blah, blah, blah. I enjoyed the writing so I continued and I'm so glad that I did!  Of course there is an event, a turning point, that is pretty horrible and our sweet young thing (Marion) finds her backbone.  She is tough as nails and not going to let anyone get the best of her. She knows she has made mistakes but is going to fight her way back.  Wow, it turns into a much more interesting story.  Interestingly, at the end, there is a note from the author about a similar true story that she adapted into this fictional account where the main character does a better job fighting back.  The very noir feel about this book kept me reading but the second half made me a believer in Megan Abbott.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment