Monday, September 18, 2023

Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix, 292 pages

Sabriel is a young woman on the brink of graduation when a mysterious message from her father sends her on a quest to find his body and stop the unquiet dead from taking over the land. (Did I mention Sabriel and her dad are necromancers? They are.) Soon, she's left the safety of the modern land of Ancelstierre and ventured into the magic heavy Old Kingdom, where her magical powers (and the dead) are stronger. Throw in a talking cat that's not actually a cat, a formerly-frozen-in-time queensguard, and a slew of zombie-esque evil contructs, and you've got yourself a classic fantasy novel.

This has been on my radar as something I'd like to read for years (it was originally published in 1996), and only now did I get around to picking it up. It's not my favorite fantasy novel, but it's definitely not bad — and I particularly liked the aforementioned not-a-cat, Mogget, who deserves a place in the fantasy cat hall of fame (I'm creating this just now, if it doesn't already exist). Glad I finally read this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment