Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Murder in Old Bombay

Murder in Old Bombay by Nev March, 389 pages

It's 1892 in India, and Captain Jim Agnihorti is recovering from grievous injuries in a Poona hospital when he reads in the newspaper about two young women who have either jumped or fallen off a clock tower in Bombay. After following the case, and subsequent inquest, Agnihorti is sure there's more to the story than the suicide that their deaths are eventually ruled, and approaches the women's well-to-do family to investigate further. As he gets to know the family and digs deeper into the women's history, Captain Jim finds himself pulled into far too many dangerous situations, both for his recovering body and his heart.

While I enjoyed the details about late-19th Century India, I felt like there were a lot of deviations from the central mystery and had to put it down a few times as it got a bit slow in the middle. That said, I was invested enough that I did pick it up again, and I'm glad I finished it. (And I particularly liked learning about how the final revelations are based in the author's family history, which is mentioned in the author's note at the end.) Not my favorite mystery, but not bad either!

No comments:

Post a Comment