Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Murder in time

Murder in time / Julie McElwain 510 pgs.

I was suckered into reading this because Overdrive featured it in their "Big Read" recommendation box.  I should have known better just by looking at the cover.  I'm not one who enjoys romance or time travel very much and I can overlook a lot of gaping plot holes if the story is good.  Unfortunately, this one just isn't very good.  Kendra Donovan is a brilliant AND beautiful F.B.I. agent who is a rising star.  She participates in a raid that goes bad and almost dies.  She rehabs and can't focus on anything but revenge.  As she plots the demise of the person she deems responsible, she stumbles into a wormhole and is transported back to 1815.  Needless to say, she doesn't fit in there particularly well but manages to stumble onto a series of murders she decides is the work of a serial killer. Even though she is a hardcore and solitary agent in her "real" life, now, in the past wearing 1815 garb, she falls for a guy who falls equally hard for her.  Intersperse a bunch of killing and you pretty much have the story.  The plot holes are enormous even if you are ok with time travel, etc. The fact that Kendra does not alter her way of speaking or vocabulary at all is incomprehensible.  She, of course, is also a outlier to the way women behave in 1815 which results in a few "Well I never" comments instead of being totally ostracized is also a tad hard to believe.  Although she is a brilliant and tough F.B.I. agent, she is often unprepared for obvious results of her interrogations, etc. (and who, pray tell would EVER allow themselves to be questioned by her in 1815?).  Maybe I'm just cranky but I should have gone with my early instincts and stopped reading this early on when I realized this story is NOT for me.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really crappy attempt to glom onto the Outlander mania. Except Outlander's, you know, GOOD.

    ReplyDelete