Tuesday, October 22, 2024

The Raven Boys

 The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, 409 pages.

Blue Sargent comes from a family of psychics, but her own supernatural gifts have always been limited to making other people's gifts stronger. Until one St. Mark's Eve, when she sees the spirit of a boy who's destined to die in the next year, who she must either kill or love to see him. That boy is Gansey, a student at the local boarding school for rich and privileged boys who is on an obsessive quest for a long buried Welsh king he believes is buried along the leyline in Virginia. Soon Blue's path crosses with Gansey and his friends' search and things begin to move very quickly.
This young adult novel came very highly recommended, and I'm afraid I found it a little middling. There wasn't anything wrong with it, and I did genuinely really like all of the characters, but I found the pacing a little slow and it didn't really shine for me. This is book one of a quartet, and I'm intrigued enough by some of the open questions that I might pick up the next, but I'm not sure I'll finish the series. Fans of young adult literature and magical realism might like this book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment