Thursday, February 8, 2024

The Witch's Heart

 The Witch's Heart by Genevieve Gornichec, 361 pages.

Kara has actually written about this Norse-mythology inspired tale twice, but I'll reference here her first review of this new angle on Ragnarok. The book follows Angrboda, the witch and seer who both predicts Ragnarok and bears many of it's most notable figures (fun detail: they're all in her hair on the cover).

I really enjoyed this book, which feels like it has a firm enough grasp on the original myths to play with them very intelligently. For example, the character of Angrboda herself also fills the role of several other minor witches from Norse mythology (all outlined in the book's appendix). While I occasionally found the pacing a little slow, I was always invested. This is very much an inward-facing novel, and I found Angrboda well-written and compelling. I'll be very interested to see what other reader's thought of this one at Orcs & Aliens on Monday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment