Monday, October 10, 2022

Sandman: Overture

Sandman: Overture by Neil Gaiman, art by J.H. Williams III, 224 pages

Originally published in 2015, this prequel to the Sandman story sets up everything that happens in the groundbreaking comics series. We learn what put Dream in the weakened state that got him captured to begin with; we find out why his relationship with Desire is so prickly; we meet his parents. And through it all, J.H. Williams III illustrates it beautifully. I read this when it first came out, and while the story didn't stick with me particularly well, I remember thinking that it was absolutely gorgeous. Well, between 2015 and now, I've read a heck of a lot more graphic novels, and I can still say with 100% conviction that this is the most gorgeous graphic novel I've ever seen. What's particularly impressive is the wide range of artistic styles that Williams utilizes, perfectly matching the scenes and characters. I love me some Neil Gaiman and this story is fantastic, but his writing definitely takes a backseat to the art in this tale. I could stare at the pages for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment