Saturday, October 22, 2022

Husband Material

Husband Material by Alexis Hall, 422 pages

After two years of dating, Luc and Oliver are still going strong. But as their friends (and exes) get married, they start to feel the pressure to tie the knot themselves. As awkwardly as possible, they get engaged and, well, this wouldn't be much of a book if there weren't plenty of hurdles (both serious and absolutely hilarious) on their way to the altar.

I'll admit that I haven't seen Four Weddings and a Funeral, but given the fact that there are, in fact, four weddings and a funeral (that of Oliver's difficult dad) in this book, it's a pretty safe bet that Hall is intentionally referencing it throughout the novel. Despite my romcom cultural blind spot, I enjoyed the framing of this book, and the update on Luc and Oliver's life, the complexities of which are handled masterfully by Hall. I will happily read more about these two, should Hall write more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment