Sunday, February 13, 2022

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

 The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin, 427 pages.

Yeine Darr, bastard granddaughter of the de facto ruler of the world and ruler of her late father's country in the barbarian north, is unexpectedly summoned to the city of Sky and named one of her grandfather's three potential heirs. The Arameri family has functionally ruled the world for hundreds of years, ever since the god of light killed one of the other three old gods and enslaved the other to the Arameri families service. In the palace of Sky, high above the city of Sky, Yeine must navigate the lethal game of succession while growing ever closer to the gods imprisoned in the palace. 

This is the first full-length novel I read by Jemisin, and I was prepared to like it more than I actually did. The premise was really intriguing, and I found the world-building super cool. Unfortunately there were some writing decisions I found pretty weird in the second half that really impacted my enjoyment of the story overall. I will say that with the way this book ended I'm really curious to see where she goes with the rest of the series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment