Saturday, April 24, 2021

Dial A for Aunties

Dial A for Aunties by Jesse Q. Sutanto, 309 pages

Photographer Meddelin Chan is part of a large and tight-knit Chinese-Indonesian family, working closely with her mother and three aunts in the family wedding business. So when she accidentally kills her date just before a major wedding event, it's natural that Meddy turns to her mom and aunts to help her dispose of the body. While the women do their best to take care of things while juggling the cake, flowers, makeup, photography, and entertainment for a 2,000-guest wedding, it's only natural that something will go wrong. And it does, in the most hilarious fashion ever.

This is the funniest book I've read in YEARS, and I'm absolutely thrilled that this Crazy Rich Asians-meets-Weekend at Bernie's comedy has already been optioned for a movie on Netflix (because I'm going to watch the heck out of that). So much heart and humor and frustration...it's what every family should aspire to! This will almost certainly be on my Best of 2021 list, and I'm sure I'll be reading this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment