Thursday, March 22, 2018

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman (2015) 308 pages

I don't usually read short story collections, but I found Trigger Warning to be well worth my time, with several vivid stories that can't help but be stuck in my head, often because of their surprising turns. The selections are a pot pourri of genres, including science fiction, fantasy, fairy tales re-jiggered, and detective. Included is a Dr. Who story called "Nothing O'Clock." As I read the story, I felt as if I were watching an episode of the show. It turns out that Gaiman has loved the Dr. Who television series since he was a small child and eventually wrote episodes for it.

Gaiman's intro to Trigger Warning is every bit as good as one of his stories, starting with a discussion of the definition of trigger warning. Gaiman wondered if people would ever put a trigger warning on his fiction, and then decided to do it himself with the title he chose. It's a good warning to have, since these stories can go any which way! I also appreciated his brief write-ups of every story/poem, enjoying a glimpse of the background behind the selections.


No comments:

Post a Comment