Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Invention of Wings

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd  384 pgs.


Set within a South Carolina plantation this moving and character driven story begins on Sarah Grimké’s 11th birthday in 1803; her father’s gift to her is her own slave, ten-year-old Hetty (also known as Handful). Grimké was a real historical figure (a fact that I did not realize until I was almost finished with the book) who went on to become an abolitionist and a crusader for women’s rights--in large part because of her experiences with her family’s slaves. Told in first person, the chapters alternate between the two main characters’ perspectives. The author intertwines fact and fiction as she explores the evolving unlikely friendship from childhood to middle age between Sarah and Handful and the ways the two women come into their own.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this story and I loved the writing. I am moved to explore more of the true story behind it. I wish it was available without Oprah's comments and highlights. It was annoying and difficult to navigate—especially at the beginning. I am a diehard Kindle reader. I have four Kindles, but I would recommend a hardcover edition until an Oprah free edition is available.
    Recommended Alaskan halibut fillets Zernia

    ReplyDelete