Thursday, April 29, 2010

Squire (Protector of the Small, book 3)/Tamora Pierce

Squire (Protector of the Small, book 3), by Tamora Pierce; young adult, fantasy; 399 pages

Still loving this series. I expected to know how this volume would play out, having read quite a bit of the girl-who-becomes-a-hero brand of YA fantasy, but was I pleasantly surprised by unexpected twists in several places. I know I keep gushing about how I like each of Pierce's books more than the last, but it's true! She does wonderful things with her characters and keeps the stories moving at a brisk pace. Here, of course, Kel finally wins her knighthood, but not before going through four years of hard work and lots of danger as a squire. There's some romance thrown in too, of course, which was also pleasantly realistic, not glossed over with a fairy tale glow. Very fun, and quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment