Saturday, April 3, 2010

Incarceron/Catherine Fisher

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher; young adult, fantasy, science fiction; 448 pages

I swear I read a review of this three or four years ago, and was really excited about it, but it vanished before I could find a copy of the book. After reading this, I'm even more upset at having to wait this long: I loved this book. The setting is a strange mix of advanced sci-fi, historical fiction, and something resembling steampunk, but slightly off. Prisoners struggle to escape from the confines of Incarceron and its possibly-deranged AI, while Outside, humanity is frozen in an artificial 18th century, where technology is strictly forbidden (but exists for those who can pay enough). Some of the events of the parallel stories seemed to line up a little too easily, but it was nothing that affected the exciting story, and could even be playing up to some overarching plot in the second book. I can't wait to find a copy of the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment