Friday, September 8, 2023

I'm Glad My Mom Died

I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy, 304 pages

Jennette McCurdy started her acting career at age 6, eventually becoming the star of Nickelodeon's iCarly and Sam & Cat. But she never really wanted to act — her mom wanted that for herself, and when she couldn't do it, she forced her young daughter into it instead. In I'm Glad My Mom Died, McCurdy lays bare her experiences as a child actor, including all of the emotional manipulation, disordered eating, and codependency that her mom subjected her to over the years. Yet she also clearly illustrates how complicated that relationship was, as she was also protective of her mother's reputation and the love she had for her. 

This is by no means a cheerful story, but the fact that McCurdy was able to write it (and, since I listened to the audiobook, read it aloud) with such candor is a hopeful sign for her future. An excellent book, though not an easy one to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment