Thursday, July 20, 2023

Weaving Sundown in a Scarlet Light

 Weaving Sundown in a Scarlet Light: Fifty Poems for Fifty Years by Joy Harjo, 160 pages.

Despite hearing a lot about Joy Harjo, I had never actually read any of her poems. This collection was on the new shelf, and I was very interested in the title, plus the collection filled a prompt on a book challenge I'm working on, so I decided to give it a try. 

The concept for this collection was extremely interesting. It takes one poem for each year of her writing career and arranges them in order, which allows the reader to see how she developed as a poet really dynamically. As with any collection I liked some better than others, but there were some really exceptional poems in this collection. I read all of the notes on the poems at the end, but I would recommend not doing that and instead reading them as you go, the context is definitely helpful for many of the poems in this collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment