Sunday, May 21, 2023

Dark Knights of Steel vol. 1

 Dark Knights of Steel vol. 1 by Tom Taylor et al., 176 pages.

The DC comics universe goes medieval in this swords and sorcery alternate universe story. Instead of superman crash-landing in America, he and his parents arrive together in a spaceship after the destruction of their planet. Years later Bruce Wayne is the head of their guard and they're in charge of a kingdom. These are only the first changes in a story that delights in re-imagining these old stories.

I'm not much of a comics reader, but I saw a few pages of this online and was intrigued enough to pick up the whole thing. The story was super fun, and I found the some of the recontextualizations to medieval fantasy really creative and interesting. I'm also intrigued by the mystery of the plot itself (it looks like Superman and his sister Zala are murdering political rivals, but it also looks like that doesn't really make sense). Jester Harley Quinn was a fun touch, as were forest witch Poison Ivy and mad prophet John Constantine. I'm very excited to get my hands on volume 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment