Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Exhalation

 Exhalation: Stories by Ted Chiang, 350 pages.

Kara just beat me to writing about this month's Orcs & Aliens book, so I'm going to go ahead and link her review here.

I thought this was a really neat collection! It does what I tend to like short story collections to do and is filled with stories that are more about keeping you thinking rather than being focused on narrative. What I also found really cool about it's collection was that by focusing pretty hard on a couple of themes (I found themes of personhood and free will to be particularly prominent) it managed to give a very nuanced examination of them. It felt at times like the collection was in conversation with itself, which was very interesting. This was a great book club discussion, and I definitely think the stories contained within deserve the many awards they've won.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment