Monday, July 11, 2022

Ship of Fools

Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter, 278 of 497 pages

A whole pile of upper-class twits get aboard a ship in Mexico, traveling to Germany in 1931. This, Porters only novel, follows them as they judge each other and the lower-class passengers, professing their opinions and being scandalized at anyone and everyone. From the seasick dog to the demonic twin children to the anti-Semitic husband of a Jewish woman, there is not a single likable character on this aptly named Ship of Fools

So why am I blogging about it? I spent several weeks slogging my way through this morass of detestable characters before finally giving up; I earned every last one of the 278 pages I read and darn it, I want them to count. My only saving grace is that everyone who discussed this in the Read the Classics book group ALSO hated this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment