Thursday, June 23, 2022

The Heartbreak Bakery

 The Heartbreak Bakery by A.R. Capetta, 352 pages.

Syd works at the Proud Muffin, a bakery and queer meeting space in Austen. Baking brownies at work to get all of the emotions out after a bad break-up feels like a good idea, until everyone who eats the brownies has their own break-ups. Now Syd and genderfluid bike delivery person Harvey need to make and deliver specially crafted magical baked goods to fix the couples' problems before they shut down the separation of the owners shuts down the bakery.

This book was super fun and extremely joyful. Also, several of the recipes provided at the end of every chapter sound delicious and I'm definitely planning on trying a few. I love the idea of magical baking, especially magical baking that's centered on putting your emotions into what your making, because I feel like it's only half a step off from reality. Also, I love the colorful community that Capetta builds in this book, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that I enjoyed the large supporting cast almost as much as I enjoyed the protagonists. This is definitely a book I would recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment