Wednesday, December 1, 2021

World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments

 World of Wonders by Aimee Nezhukumatathil, 165 pages.

This book, by poet Aimee Nezhukumatathil, is described as a series of essays about the natural world and the things we can learn from it. The fact that the author is a poet rather than any sort of naturalist or biologist probably should have been my first hint that this probably wasn't the book that I thought it would be. I had expected a book a little like Braiding Sweetgrass, which I loved. What I got instead was more like a memoir that used various plants and animals as metaphors for things in the authors life, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but the final product was a little too disjointed to be a great memoir either. 

Note: The illustrations by Fumi Nakamura are very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment