Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wild: From lost to found on the Pacific Coast Trail, by Cheryl Strayed


When I put this book on reserve I was #124 in line, so actually paid to put it on my Kindle for our trip north.  Not only was it well-reviewed, but the author grew up in the wilds of Aiken County, MN, next to Itasca County, where our cabin is located.  I was really looking forward to reading it. What a disappointment….  I was annoyed by the author’s “wild” previous life (promiscuous sexual encounters and heroin use); her blithe lack of realistic preparation for her journey on the Pacific Coast Trail; and her self-absorption throughout.  Yeah, I know it is supposed to be about her growth and enlightenment during this adventure, but I just wanted to shake her.    I’m happy it turned out well for her and she got through it alive.  And even happier that volunteers didn’t have to risk their lives rescuing her like some dumb mountain-climber ignoring the “Danger! Avalanche!” signs.  I suspect I’m in the minority here, and will be interested to see what others think about this memoir.  336 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment