Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Larry in Wonderland

Larry in Wonderland: A Pearls Before Swine Collection by Stephan Pastis, 128 pages

OK, so this is about as far from a story-telling book as possible, but I read it, so I'm blogging it. I've always enjoyed Pearls Before Swine in small morsels, so that's how I had to approach this collection. It was fun, but I've got to say that I missed the running commentary from Pastis that's used in at least one of his other collections; I kept finding myself looking just underneath the strip to find out how people reacted to it and how he reacted to those reactions. There's a dose of this at the beginning, where Pastis places strips next to letters that he's received regarding them, but somehow it doesn't have the same effect. When they're scattered throughout, they're harmless, but when they're all together at the beginning of the collection, Pastis comes off as kind of full of himself and definitely derogatory to his detractors. So skip that part, if you choose to pick this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment