Friday, June 4, 2021

Secrets of happiness, by Joan Silber

When Ethan comes out to his parents during his freshman year in college, his father, who is frequently in Asia for long periods on business, says, “I’ll have to revise everything I know.”  Well, that’s not the half of it.  A few years later, when Ethan’s father is served with papers in a paternity suit, his wife of thirty-two years, Ethan, and Ethan’s sister, learn that he has a second family with two teenage sons, born to a Thai mother, who works as a hostess at a nearby restaurant.  Each chapter features a different character in this drama – some are principals, like Ethan and his half-siblings, and others are lovers or otherwise interconnected.  It is an absorbing read, and well done, but I find a week or two later I have difficulty remembering who is related to who and how.  Would bear re-reading to write a better review, but I enjoyed it I while I was involved in their entwined lives.  274 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment