Thursday, July 18, 2019

The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu

The Language of Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu by Dan Jurafsky , 272 pages 

My friends were probably happy when I finished reading this book, to be honest. That's because I could not stop talking about it! Every time we talked, I had some new tidbit to share. Like, did you know that ketchup and fish n chips originate from the same Chinese dish? Macaroni and macaroons originate from an almond paste from Persia - who knew!

I found it very readable. It reminded me of a show on NPR. It has certainly changed the way I understand food and world history in general. People tend to put history into categories - Asian history, European history, Middle Eastern, etc. but it's all inter-connected. This book does a wonderful job of examining those connections.

The audiobook is read by the author, which is especially helpful in this case because he is able to pronounce the foreign words correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment