Friday, July 17, 2015

The Wind Blows away Our Words: a Firsthand Account of the Afghan Resistance / Doris Lessing 171 p.

Because I am a sucker for Doris Lessing, I will even read a 1987 account of the war in Afghanistan, meant to be an urgent plea for aid to the mujahidin, valiantly fighting invading Soviets without equipment or food.  To say the least, a lot has changed in 28 years and this short read should have felt like a complete waste of time.  But Doris Lessing wrote it, so it was thoughtful and prescient and I learned all sorts of things that other writers couldn't have put together in 1,000 pages.

Lessing's writing has such a fearless quality.  I suspect she always wrote exactly what she thought, without regard for who might be offended.  Her impressions of the situation of Afghan women refugees in Pakistan are, as a result, far more nuanced than anything else I've read.  I don't always agree with her, and I think in person I might even have disliked her, but I am never sorry to have read what she puts on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment